Quantcast
Custom Search
http://www.meebo.com/rooms
Get Your Hip Hop Buzz Here

Saturday, August 30, 2008

T-Pain vs. Kirk Franklin


T-Pain is feelin the heat from switching up a gospel song into a song about Patrón “Silver and Gold”:

Pain cut called “Silver and Gold” leaked to the Internet a few months back, with the Tallahassee, Florida, native singing about the effects of blending clear and colored Patrón tequila together for consumption. “You’ll be hanging, swanging, drinking two types of Patrón,” he sings. “I done mixed up silver and gold/ I done mixed up silver and gold/ I’mma tryin’ to get drunk before this party/ Somebody’s gonna have to carry me home/ I done drank the silver and gold.”

While Pain’s following ate it up, non-secular-music kingpin Kirk Franklin had to put a call into the young singer. Franklin debuted the original “Silver and Gold” on his 1993 Kirk Franklin and the Family album. The gospel version goes: “Silver and gold/ Silver and gold/ I’d rather have Jesus than silver and gold/ No fame or fortune/ Nor riches untold/ I’d rather have Jesus than silver and gold.”

“It was never supposed to be on my album,” Pain said Tuesday in the MTV News office, wearing a purple top hat and matching shirt. “The record, it got leaked, then me and Kirk Franklin had to talk. He was doing most of the talking. He was saying it wasn’t no disrespect. He was saying he knows how songs get leaked. He had it happen to him before. He said he wasn’t a saint, and it wasn’t like he never did nothing wrong. It’s not like [Kirk] said I did something wrong. He said if I was gonna go with it, just change the melody. ‘You can still say silver and gold.’ He’s got a lot of people saying stuff to him: ‘How could you let T-Pain destroy a gospel song like that? How could let him talk about alcohol?’ I wasn’t even doing it for a mixtape or nothing. I was literally drinking and made a song. I was bored in the studio. There was nothing else to do. I made it into an alcoholic anthem, which wasn’t good.”

SMH.

Via MTV

No comments: